Buzz is the world-famous and beloved mascot of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Buzz gets Tech fans cheering at nearly all the Institute’s intercollegiate sporting events. Although Buzz’s origins are rather ambiguous, it is known that Buzz showed up at a game sometime in the early 1980s as an unofficial cheerleader, and was soon adopted by the GT Cheerleading squad.
Today Buzz is a member of the Cheerleading squad, and attends all Football games, all home Basketball games for the Men’s & Women’s Team, several Volleyball & Baseball games, as well as pep rallies and appearances throughout Georgia.
In Fall 2005 and 2006, Buzz was named to the Capital One All-American Mascot Teams and competed for the title of the Capital One Mascot of the Year. Buzz also competes in the Mascot National Competition in Daytona, FL each April. In 2006 he received 2nd place, and he is currently an NCA All-American mascot. In 2015 Buzz finished 3rd in the mascot division! Go Buzz!
Looking to have Buzz at your next event? Fill out and submit the Buzz Appearance Request form.
2018-2019 Buzz Tryouts Information
Saturday, April 14th
Zelnak Basketball Center
Directions: Enter around the back of McCamish Pavilion at the Zelnak Basketball Center. Proceed through the hallway and down the ramp. Enter into Freshman gym (located on the left at the bottom of the ramp).
Visit Parking Services at https://pts.gatech.edu/visitors for more information in regards to guest passes.
Currently enrolled students: All returning GT students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to be eligible for tryouts. You must be enrolled full-time for the Fall of 2018.
New/ Prospective students: All new students (transfer or incoming freshman) are eligible to tryout. You must be accepted into Georgia Institute of Technology through the Admissions Office, but do not have to be actively enrolled at the time of tryouts.
*Members can be any gender
Required Documents to Bring to Try-outs
New member’s participating in tryouts must bring three (3) required documents to registration on Saturday. Veteran member’s participating in tryouts must bring (1) required document to registration. You will not be permitted to tryout if you are missing any of the documentation.
- Copy of your Insurance card – Required for New Members
- Physical dated after April 15th, 2017 – Required for New Members
- Completed Questionnaire (See Below) – Required for New and Veteran Members
T-shirt or tank top
Bring with you:
We recommend females/males to bring a headband or bandana. Additionally, if you can wear contacts vs. glasses, it will help (not required) as glasses will sometimes fog up in the suit.
Being selected as a mascot is one of the highest honors at Georgia Tech. Below you will find information concerning the tryout process. Please be aware, anything dealing with Buzz is 100% secret, including applying for the position.
If selected, you must perform your mascot duties from May 1, 2018 through the end of the spring 2019 semester. This will include FACET dates during the summer, athletic appearances during winter/spring break, late night/early morning events on and off campus, and many other appearances. There are multiple members who represent Buzz, but flexibility and availability are required.
With any reward comes some sacrifice. Being Buzz is very much like taking on a part-time job. Buzz members do receive compensation for certain events and there is a small scholarship as well. Being a mascot must be your number two priority falling right after your academic performance. However, the memories you will make and the experiences you will have will be some of the greatest in your life.
Saturday, April 14th
4:00pm Registration, Welcome, Rundown of tryouts
-Learn how to be Buzz, practice in the suit, talk with current members, etc.
Detailed Breakdown of Tryouts
Members will be asked to prepare a skit for tryouts. Skits should be approximately one (1) minute in length and include:
A theme to the skit
Props (signs, toys, bags, etc. Does not have to be high quality)
Music of your (one standard song or a mix of multiple songs)
*You can find elite examples of mascot skits on Youtube for UCA or NCA College National Mascot Competition
During the first hour, current Buzz members will teach you how to “become Buzz.” This section is not judged and gives you the opportunity to get comfortable in the suit. You will learn how buzz walks, acts, etc. Additionally, one of Buzz’s greatest traditions is performing a front flip on the football field when the team runs out. You will be taught how to perform this flip at the beginning of the tryout process and then evaluated at the end of the night. Perfection is not required, but must show potential.
You will be asked questions that pertain to your approach of organization, stress, life changes associated with the Institution. In addition to your current relationship with Buzz and why you wish to tryout.
Arrive with the following questions filled out and able to turn in. You may also email them to [email protected] with the subject line “Buzz Questionnaire – (Your Name).
- Describe Buzz’s role both on and off campus. In what ways can you ensure their reputation is upheld and even improved with you serving as the mascot?
- Give two examples of how you would inspire school spirit at a non-athletic event (Family weekend, etc.)
- The identity of Buzz is a secret until graduation. This tradition is highly respected and important each year. List two situations where it would be difficult to keep the secret and how you would handle it.
- Sometimes young children are afraid of Buzz. What would you do if this situation happened to you?
- You’re exhausted from the week, have way too many tests to study for, a group project and you have been asked to go to an event the next day, what would keep you motivated and energized when in suit so that Buzz doesn’t look tired?
- While there are multiple students to support the role of Buzz, it is a time commitment. Please describe how you plan to manage your time to ensure you continue to be a successful student and fulfill your mascot responsibilities.
- In your time as a student, in what ways have you positively impacted the Georgia Tech Community?
- What is something special that you will bring to the mascot role?
- Why do you want to be Buzz?
For more information or if you have any additional questions, email Coach Nester at [email protected]